Ultra Magnus (Transformers)
Ultra Magnus is the name of several fictional characters from the Transformers series. The latest character to carry the name Ultra Magnus was a character who appeared in the Transformers: War for Cybertron video game, where he is protrayed as a large Autobot who carries a hammer. This version of Ultra Magnus also appeared in the Transformers: Exodus novel.
2004 Transformers: Energon
It was in the second installment of the Unicron Trilogy, Transformers: Energon, that the Overload toy was repainted into Ultra Magnus's blue, white and red colors and released in the west under the name "Ultra Magnus" in a limited production run.
The Energon version of Ultra Magnus, like all the recolorations of Armada toys featured in the early stages of the toyline, never appeared in the TV show, or the Dreamwave comic.
Although Transformers: Cybertron, the third installment of the "Unicron Trilogy" timeline, saw Robots in Disguise Magnus enter its timeline, it was not without its own characters bearing the name. The Transformers: Armada toyline was the first to re-use Magnus's name, although not in the west - in Japan, where the character known as Overload in English was named Ultra Magnus. It was not an ill-fitting name, as the first, unpainted pictures of the toy had caused speculation that it was intended to be a new version of Magnus, bearing as it does his stylistic shoulder design.
Ultra Magnus appeared in the text story from Fun Publications called Force of Habit. This story explained where he was during the events of the Cybertron story. Ultra Magnus is commander of various Autobot ships sent to other planets in search for the Cyber Planet Keys. He also serves as captain of the Iron Hope which was crewed by Bonecrusher, Grimlock, Ironhide, Knock Out, Overcast, Prowl, Quickstrike, RipTide, Skyblast, Smokescreen, Swoop, Wreckage and the Sky Scorcher Mini-Con Team.
- Energon Ultra Magnus (2004)
- This version of Ultra Magnus is a recolor of Armada Overload. It was released in 2004 and came with a recolor of the Armada Space Mini-Con team. A version with a similar color scheme to Overload but in blue instead of red was released as a Lucky Draw figure.
2004 Transformers: Universe (Deluxe)
In addition to the slightly repainted incarnation of Robots in Disguise Magnus, the multiple-reality-spanning Transformers: Universe toyline featured several other Ultra Magnus characters from other universes.
The Deluxe version of Ultra Magnus has yet to make any appearance in fiction. The only information known about him is that he is a rival of Universe Treadshot.
- Universe Deluxe Ultra Magnus with Over-Run (2004)
- The toy for this version of Ultra Magnus is a white recolor of the Armada Deluxe Optimus Prime and Over-Run toy. There was an error in the assembly of the toy where the lower parts of his arms were swapped with each other, meaning he could not bend his arms up at the elbows fully, unless they are fixed.
In 2007 USA today polled people as to which Transformer they want to appear in the next Transformers film. Ultra Magnus came in tied for fourth with Shockwave.
2012 Transformers: Prime
Leader of the Wreckers. Ultra Magnus is an Autobot leader of Wreckers who turns into a truck. He is also the leader of the Wreckers.
Ultra Magnus appears in the third season of Transformers: Prime, entitled Beast Hunters. He is revealed to be Optimus Prime's second-in-command, who survived the war for Cybertron. He is a by-the-book commander, requesting that the Autobots, with the exception of Ratchet, and even the humans address him as "sir".
He arrives at Earth in "Scattered" and meets with Arcee and Jack.
In "Prey," Ultra Magnus tells Jack and Arcee that he detected five Autobot life signatures that remained online. Ultra Magnus also mentioned that he had encountered other Autobots during his travels, many of which perished in Decepticon attacks. Later, he helps Bulkhead, Wheeljack and Miko escape from the Predacon named Predaking before finding Ratchet, Bumblebee and Raf at the Harbinger and meeting Agent Fowler and June Darby. Ultra Magnus decides that the Autobots must defeat Megatron once and for all and, after taking command, offers them a large supply of weapons to assist in the fight.
In "Rebellion", Ultra Magnus leads the assault on Darkmount, where Predaking is sent through a Ground Bridge into the Antarctic. Magnus goes after Megatron, but is defeated. Before the Autobots can be executed, a recently repaired Optimus Prime arrives and destroys Darkmount. Later, Magnus gives Optimus command over the Autobots again.
In "Project Predacon", Ultra Magnus' vehicle form is revealed, a nearly all-blue version of Optimus' semi-truck form. It is also revealed that he was put in charge of the Wreckers on Cybertron during the war, as he felt there needed to be someone to keep them in order. Once again taking charge of the Wreckers on Earth, Ultra Magnus also takes the Forge of Solus Prime as a new weapon, as it had no more power and wanted to give it a "practical use".
Appears in the novel Transformers: Exodus.
Ultra Magnus appears as a character in the Nintendo DS game Transformers: War for Cybertron - Autobots. He is a level boss that must be defeated, which unlocks him as a playable character. He is also available in the Decepticons version of the game. If the sewer level with Motormaster is played with Autobot characters, Ultra Magnus is used to replace Motormaster.
Like the Animated version of the character, this Ultra Magnus carried a hammer.
- Generations Deluxe Ultra Magnus (2012)
- A recolor of Generations Optimus Prime with a new head.
- Hasbro Transformers Prime Cyberverse Commander Ultra Magnus (2012)
- A new mold. Comes with a hammer accessory.
- Hasbro Transformers Prime Voyager Ultra Magnus (2012)
- A new mold, based off the character's design in the show, he transforms into a blue truck that resembles his G1 and Animated counterparts. He comes with a large gun that doubles as a hammer, and a missile.
- Hasbro Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Voyager Ultra Magnus (2013)
- A remold of Prime Voyager Optimus Prime" with two shoulder-mounted missile launchers added. Comes with the "Forge of Solus Prime", and a removable jet pack.
- Prime Beast Hunters Weaponizer Ultra Magnus (Platinum Series) (unreleased)
- Recolor and mold of the Prime Weaponizer Optimus Prime figure. Comes with the "Forge of Solus Prime Battle Hammer".
- http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-07-18-Transformers_N.htm 'Transformers' fans make some noise for Soundwave, By Anthony Breznican, USA TODAY, 7/23/2007
- Alexander C. Irvine (2010). Transformers: Exodus - The Official History of the War for Cybertron. Del Rey Books. ISBN 978-0345522528.
- Furman, Simon (2004). Transformers: The Ultimate Guide. DK Publishing Inc.. p. 111. ISBN 1405304618.
- Furman, Simon (2004). Transformers: The Ultimate Guide. DK Publishing Inc.. p. 38. ISBN 1405304618.