Federally Administered Tribal Areas
Along Pakistan's border with Afghanistan Pakistan exercises a measure of authority over Pakistan's Tribal Agencies. Most of the population of the seven Tribal agencies are traditional, conservative muslims. The agencies are: the Bajaur Agency, the Mohmand Agency, the Khyber Agency, the Orakzai Agency, the Kurram Agency and North Waziristan and South Waziristan.
Most of the tribes in the Tribal Agencies are Pashtun -- the same ethnic group that was the Taliban's power base in Afghanistan. It is widely speculated that Osama bin Laden escaped Afghanistan at a border crossing into one of the Tribal Agencies.
- David Rodhe (2002-12-26). "PAKISTAN TRIBAL REGION; An Anti-U.S. Haven for Al Qaeda". New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E01E6DE103CF935A15751C1A9649C8B63. Retrieved 2009-02-11. mirror
- "Welcome to FATA". Government of Pakistan. http://fata.gov.pk/. mirror
- Ijaz Khan, "Challenges Facing Development in Pakistan’s FATA", NBR Analysis: Challenges Facing Pakistan’s Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA), National Bureau of Asian Research (NBR), http://nbr.org/publications/analysis/pdf/vol19no3.pdf mirror
- David Kilcullen (2009). "The Accidental Guerrilla: Fighting Small Wars in the Midst of a Big One". Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195368345. http://books.google.ca/books?id=cyUCyKxPhREC&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+Accidental+Guerrilla&source=bl&ots=kbsNAZaOM3&sig=L9vabZpjbCkys7uHmUSJf1s_vhE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3wdAUNGbFIWNyAHbzoDoBQ&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=snippet&q=tribal%20areas&f=false.
- Shuja Nawaz. "FATA — a Most Dangerous Place: Meeting the Challenges of Militancy and Terror in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas of Pakistan". Center for Strategic and International Studies. http://www.csis.org/media/csis/pubs/081218_nawaz_fata_web.pdf. mirror
- Pervaiz Iqbal Cheema. "NBR Analysis: Challenges Facing Pakistan’s Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA)". National Bureau of Asian Research (NBR). p. 22. http://nbr.org/publications/analysis/pdf/vol19no3.pdf#page=22. mirror
- Tariq Mahmud Ashraf (June 18, 2008). "Military Operations in FATA: Eliminating Terrorism or Preventing the Balkanization of Pakistan?". http://www.jamestown.org/programs/gta/single/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=4983&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=167&no_cache=1. mirror